Thursday, April 17, 2008






Priya and I went to Chennai (for a marriage) and thence to Thiruvannamalai, with my parents. Thiruvannamalai has one of the gigantic temples typical of Tamil Nadu and also the ashram where Ramana Maharshi lived.

Something about him at : http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/ and the inimitable Saarlo's Guru rating service gives him three stars : http://www.globalserve.net/~sarlo/RatingsA.htm#ramana
I've read about him a little -- quite an interesting life.

There is a holy hill at this place, and its a practice to circumambulate the hill ('girivallam' in the local argot) for brownie points. Its a 14 km walk. Self, mom and spouse did it, starting at 4 in the morning and ending around 10. Its supposed to be done barefoot, but my mother and I didn't dare, Priya did and is much to be congratulated. My mom is also much to be congratulated for finishing the walk at her age.

There are plans for a scary midsummer trip to Shirdi Sai Baba's place in Maharashtra with my wife's sister's family. I'm hoping to either cop out, or branch off and go to Ellora and Ajanta instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hats of to you all,especially aunty! Banu, really its a great work!
Sneha