Sunday, July 13, 2008



Tipu's prison for some of his English captives -- particularly aesthetic and minimalist design I thought




Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary


Close-up of a seed (pongamia/kanuga) germinating.




Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary



We saw "Kung Fu Panda" today, and "Dasavataram" sometime back. And we got the 3rd season of Lost so I'm pretty much current on it. So many reviews, so little time ..just one-liners then

Dasavatharam: Quite a remarkable film though remarkably flawed. The makeup for the different Kamal characters particularly the American ones is execrable. See it.

Kung Fu Panda: Completely fitting in with what I have found about all animation films of the past few years -- remarkable animation with a very thin story.



Lost: I was thinking : me and several of my friends / relatives have had hours and hours of excellent entertainment from serials like "Lost" with essentially 0 expenditure from my side and 0 gain for the makers of the serial. How might Lost reach out to people like me to get a little bit of money for their trouble ?


Last weekend we visited Mysore and some surrounding areas with Amar our friend from Pune. Highlight was the visit to the funny island of Seringapatam, where the Cauvery splits into two and creates an island, and to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary. My first bird sanctuary visit, quite nice and would like to do more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re Dasavatharam, I saw it in NJ on the first weekend, in a packed theatre. The *** charged 16$ per person, which is 1.5 times the cost of a regular screening.

There were many things I liked in the movie - the script for example, while it was dragging at times so that theres time for each of the 10 characters, had an intelligent undercurrent from the tension between rationalism and religion. The Fletcher character and the inspector character, too I liked.

The flaws of this movie arise not from stupidity, like they do from most movies, but because of its wide reaching ambition - therefore I could overlook them.

I think this movie is a step forward for the industry in india, because it has a lot of originality, despite its flaws.

Re, Lost, dont let your heart bleed for the guys who made them. They will figure out a way to collect cash from you, one way or another, sooner than later.

Arvind

Anonymous said...

execrable is a good word. to describe this movie. not just its ridiculous facial props.

if you've seen it too bad for you. some of us had the sense to walk out and rinse our minds with gongfu panda.