Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A heartbreaking work of staggering genius



Well not quite, but I wanted to talk about my neice's drawings. See the above. It's of a giraffes (big giraffe and small giraffe, as she told me), in case you didn't get it. I'm really struck with how she managed to capture the essential giraffe-ness without paying attention to exact replication. Watching her sketch is amazing -- she draws fluently and confidently without hesitation, quite extraordinary I feel, for someone her age (5 or 6). And she likes to tell stories that she makes up which again I find really amazing. The stories are (as yet) quite lame, but she is so absorbed in telling them that it is clear that there is something non-trivial going on and she has a real talent for it. Presumably with time the stories will get better. Sometimes she combines the two, telling a story of what she is sketching which is a real pleasure.

Getting back to her style of drawing, it is reminscent of a couple of Picasso's painting that I like -- the Flowers one:



and the Don Quixote one:

5 comments:

Arvind said...

Your nieces pictures are way superior to the Picassos that you put up.

In your nieces pics, I see joy and happiness. In the other two pics, there is no soul nor style. Just a fancy signature.

Picassos blue period is probably the best of him. Where he had something to say about humanity.

Cubism, not much there. Its like economic sciences, lots of techinical stuff, but no substance. Or soul for that matter.


Arvind

VK said...

CLLAAAAAANNNNNNGGGGG !!!!!
Arvind bullshit alert...

Arvind said...

What, you brand name loving pseud. Just follow artists whom people hype up and fall for the signature. Hey its a Picasso, so it must be good.

Tsk Tsk. Grow up.

VK said...

I see. That's why I guess I am pushing my niece's work (actually my wife's niece) on this blog.

Arvind said...

I didnt say the only thing you like is something that is approved by the art community. I am saying the converse in my previous comment.