Sunday, March 22, 2009

More on movies




I am watching "Chak De! India" for the 2.5th time and I think it would qualify as Great. Its a straightforward but man, there are so many facets that are explored in it. Its funny as hell in places, I love the music and songs, it makes me feel patriotic (pretty hard to do) and teary-eyed (quite easy to do), it sets up lot of team dynamics (perhaps simplistic), it takes a shot (perhaps simplistic again) at understanding what it takes to make a world-class team, and it takes excellent potshots at the sporting establishment in India. A lot of the stuff is really intelligent and I think it could teach a lot of people how excellence or greatness happens. Oh and its a great cheerleader for empowering women.

I urge those of you who haven't seen it yet to see it.

I have this habit of picking up on particular strings of words that I feel really click and in this movie I really loved the title song. It has a strong rousing urgency, something we could do with as a nation if you ask me. "Do something, do something, enough of big talk!!" . (In Slumdog Millionaire I liked "D: It is written". See the movie again if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Slumdog Millionaire: The list of subtleties that you mentioned -- pretty cool and I bow to you. But using something like your Usual Suspects argument, cool though these tricks are, they don't really make for a great movie. A significant flaw in the movie is how flat the characters are -- even the main one. And in particular the girl is just a doll, a symbol - she is just tossed around by fate and nothing of her own motivations or feelings really comes through.
BTW -- all those people who felt offended that the movie emphasized poverty or something : kiss my ass. Go make your own movie glorifying Mukesh Ambani if that's what you want stupids.

Rohit -- "Forrest Gump" , interesting choice. I'm not sure. Make your case !

Arvind -- haven't watched your tubes properly yet. But look interesting.

3 comments:

Arvind said...

Dude, Chak De is as standard a sports movie as they come. I loved the movie dont get me wrong - thats because I love all sports movies. But as one critic of sports movies pointed out - if youve seen one youve seen them all in terms of story line (first failure then win), underdog rooting (in this case desi womens hockey), plot tension (one discordant member who returns - see hoosiers as well). So this is a rather standard template and straightforward execution with no claims to greatness. It does go straight to the heart of sports movie lovers like me and Nandita though (she too thoroughly enjoyed ).

Regarding the you tube links I sent you, the first one by Orson Welles I find dazzling. I want to get a hold of the whole movie. According to many critics the link is very close to the opening of the movie and sets up the whole movie. Boy what a electric beginning.

Arvind

Arvind said...

Here's the link to the single shot no cuts opening by Orson Welles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaN4R6KRSY0

Anonymous said...

From the little video that you posted, chak-de seems to be somewhat similar to Bend it like Bekham in story line which I totally enjoyed. Must check this movie out! Bhanu said she loved it too.

Sajini