Sunday, August 16, 2015

Comparing cultures


My sister asked me today if I preferred Singapore to the US and I didn't have an answer but it set me thinking. Singapore is like a busy buzzing place, people running around making good things, running countless retail shops, good quality, good design, pleasant, keeping the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) going etc. The US brings to mind individualism and a self-destructive streak ,great creativity and achievement, all the attitude and ego and drug addition. One surmises that Lee Kuan Yew really could not handle the nihilism of the drug culture that he saw in the West and hence the draconian anti-drug laws in Singapore. It scared him at some deep level.
And what to say about India in comparison to the above ?

In the profusion of cuisines that is Singapore, one particular dish stood out for me (in my limited exploration). This was the Japanese  counter at the food court in the Lee Kuan Yew School. They serve a noodle soup with slices of pork that is so clean and refined, and other little details about the experience work too. I will maybe write a post and put up a photo of that later, but the reason I bring it up here, is that Japan is another distinct cultural stream. I would love to go there and experience it,

No comments: