Friday, January 01, 2016

2015

The first three months was disengaging out of Arghyam. That was fairly uneventful. I did some useful things including transitioning to my successor, Vivek Sabnis; I wish more was asked of me in terms of knowledge capture . The farewell team meeting we had was great for me, I got to
express many things that I wanted to say. By the time I left, I was having lot of doubts about the effectiveness of the work we were doing at Arghyam and IWP so it was a good time to leave. I hope that with the 8 years of learning and experience, I can do even better at my next work than I did at Arghyam.

The first 6 months of 2015 were a hurricane of ILP work. ILP is the Introduction Leaders Program at Landmark. It was an extraordinary ride. Since I didn't have a job from March onwards, I was primarily doing ILP so it concentrated the experience; ILP full on! I can hardly remember anything from those days but there were lots of ups and downs and breakthroughs. Now I see it as a very healthy experience - of giving myself fully to the work of self-development. ILP is about being an unabashed salesman for Landmark - such a bizarre thing to do, and yet while you were doing it, it seemed very natural (though not easy at all). The magic of the course. My mom and nephew among others did the Landmark Forum during that time. One thing I learnt from signing up many people to do the course - Some people get huge value , others don't. It is very gratifying to see the difference it made for some people. As I left before the course completed in Bangalore, I continued working on in here in Singapore in association with the Landmark Center here - a difficult experience. While the course provides benefit irrespective, there are some criteria to fulfill in order to qualify to the next level of work at Landmark. I didn't do that. So what next at Landmark for me ?

Settling into Singapore was challenging for many reasons:
- I was coming out of an intensive ILP experience and making a re-entry to normal life :-)
- I was coming off 8 years of being in the same place and the same job at Arghyam, Bangalore
- I was feeling self-conscious about being older
- Introversion is still a big part of my personality
- I badly wanted to do well academically, and put pressure on myself for this
- I badly wanted to 'fit in' and get along well with classmates
- Getting Priya and Vibhat their long term visa documentation and getting Vibhat into school and Priya a job

Academics were great at the LKY School. Extraordinarily stimulating being back at school and learning. The many talk and lectures here provided for out-of-class learning and stimulation. However, the coursework was too basic or too theoretical for direct use.
My grades were way below my expectations which was very disappointing. I started off wanting to be topper, then down to top 3 to top 10 but finally it was top 20 if at all. I very comfortably met the requirements for keeping my scholarship, so I guess I didn't do badly by the school's standards.

My relationship with Priya continues to be turbulent. During ILP we had breakthroughs, but back to normal life has been bumpy. I think we will achieve harmony at some point, but what will we do to each other's spirits in the meantime ?!

A great disappointment has been in my relating to my classmates. There is a lack of ease and spontaneity and intimacy in this. And I haven't shown any leadership whatsoever.

Vibhu has been doing very well. Many people say he is very cute, and he is also quite gentle and well-mannered. His school work is good and he adjusted well to a quite different school environment and learning Hindi. He is progressing very well in reading. He reads for pleasure by himself which is a big deal. He is enjoying Enid Blytons, once he starts a book, finds it difficult to put it down! He also enjoys reading about the world and other non-fiction. He is enormously lovable. The challenges of child-rearing are certainly there though! He wants to watch a lot of online entertainment and we have a tough time limiting it.

We got off to a slow start on tourism and sightseeing in Singapore and South East Asia. Went to several parks here in Singapore, dabbled in the cuisine, went to Marina Bay Sands, the Zoo, and Johor Bahru and Melaka in Malaysia. And I went to Thailand as part of school work.
 We hope to do more in 2016.

Health news has not been so good. I'm not getting much exercise. My knees are giving me trouble. Priya has attacks of hives but we have not been able to find the cause. I had a filling fall out from one of my teeth. My weight is still excessive.

The future is unclear. Whether I will get a job so we will stay on Singapore. What I will do next. What's next on the self-development or spirit journeys ? I feel disinclined and unqualified to take up a mainstream job. There is a degree of freedom in thinking about these things which is very gratifying. I feel less obligated to do things for money, or for 'looking good' or to prove something or achieve something.

I've spent many hours thinking about these things during the months here and made progress.

Acknowledgements:
I acknowledge myself for: taking on the ILP and playing fully, for throwing myself fully into coursework here at Lee Kuan Yew School. For our family making the transition to Singapore and settling in. For my big dreams for life. For being a good father.
I acknowledge Sudha Bhat, my ILP leader, Gautam, my ILP coach and all the coaches and participants of ILP for that incredible journey.
I acknowledge my mom for doing the Landmark Forum
I acknowledge Priya for all the hard work she put in this year in winding up in Bangalore, setting up in Singapore, taking care of the house, taking care of Vibhat's stuff at school and his homework.
I acknowledge my classmates at LKY for being a great bunch of people

I hereby declare myself complete with 2015 and take on 2016!

No comments: