Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Random notes



Qatar Airways: We flew to Rome from Mumbai and back to Mumbai from London by Qatar Airways. They're apparently trying to distinguish themselves as one of the premier customer service airlines and it showed. The airhostesses did not look Arabic, some of them were from India and the Far East -- perhaps because mid-east women are conservative (well, forced to be), the airline is forced to look elsewhere for its hostesses ? On the flight from London to Doha (capital of Qatar) the in-flight video was very advanced. Each seat had a display (which I've seen on other international airlines), but the movies or other programs ran individually at each display. So if I tuned into a movie it started right then for me, I didn't just tune into a running movie. I don't know how many other people have this. The selection of movies was also very good -- I was delighted to see Memoirs of A Geisha there, as I had missed it in the theater in Bangalore. I saw it on the flight and loved it. Most of the reviews were somewhat critical, but I found it completely absorbing.
Talking about movies -- at several places in Europe we saw posters for Almodovar's new movie "Volver". I like his movies and watched most of them while I was in the US. And then again in 2004 when I visited, his latest film ("Mother" ?) was playing and I saw that too. Would have loved to have the chance to see Volver while in Europe, but didn't happen. We also saw posters for the Da Vinci Code.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Singapore air has had this in-flight entertainment feature for a while - where the movie/programs are streamed individually and you can control them.

VK said...

Thanks .. I flew by Singapore Airlines in 2002 and they didn't have it then.
I'm curious to know who posted this comment :-)

Best,
Vijay

VK said...

Adding some more to this post: They also had Chronicles of Narnia and a bunch of Hindi and Tamil movies on offer :-)

On the Doha Mumbai flight, they had only the overhead screen and it played this really nice Indian movie about a deaf-dumb person who had a natural talent for fast bowling and his struggles to make it. It was really good and just *great* acting by the hero and his sister's character who were both not well-known people. Girish Karnad and Naseeruddin Shah also acted in the movie. I often run into movies like this which are really good, but just don't get much publicity or cinema theater runs. Its a real shame because there is so much run of the mill stuff out there, that these kind of movies are important. Other such: Morning Raaga, Mr and Mrs Iyer, Dance Like A Man.

A Soul In Exile said...

The movie you are referring to is "Iqbal" - and now both Shweta Prasad (sister) and Shreyas Talpade(bowler) are well known :-)

BTW, the movie did do well and was well publicised as well (given that it was produced by Subash Ghai's film house).

-Sidharth

VK said...

Thanks Sidharth :-). I'm not sure how I missed it.I am not that clued into Hindi movies but usually hear of the good ones either through reviews or word-of-mouth or something. The name Iqbal faintly rings a bell, but I didn't see any reviews about it and don't remember seeing any posters or hungama about it.