Thursday, October 26, 2006

Skype



Its quite embarrasing for a putative techie like me to be caught discovering Skype in October 2006 but here goes.

After some earlier half-hearted attempts dating back to 2002, I downloaded Skype again recently and it works like a dream. The biodiesel group that I am talking to uses it so they asked me to get on it too, so I did. Its simple and elegant, and so far (I've only had one conversation yet !) I've been able to get away without using a mike or headphones and still get good clarity. Skype positions itself as a way of making phone calls using your computer, though they're basically a more targeted Yahoo Msgr with Voice which I talked about earlier. Still its pretty cool. I came back from our Nemeli trip (yeah, we're back, I'll blog about the trip later) and came online to check mail and bingo! somebody notices that I'm online and Skypes me and we have a conversation. Powerful (and empowering).

That's all for now (ie very early Thu morning) folks.

No comments: