Sunday, December 10, 2006

A vision for myself


Much to my surprise :-), my thoughts about long-term work are converging. The below is what might work for me. Since I have the tendency to change my mind 5 times a day, this may not go anywhere, but I think it will.

I would like to work as an outside consultant or on contractual basis for short term assignments. This fits my 'short attention span' kind of personality. I also am energized by working on clear and meaningful deliverables in short timespans (though I also get stressed out due to the same). Consulting kind of work seems to fit my personality in other ways. I have usually felt underqualified, overqualified and frustrated (all at the same time) at most of the jobs I have done :-). I think this kind of work will keep me happy rather than a corporate job. I will get to meet lot of different people and different work environments, which stimulates me.

I have several things that I can do in this kind of a consulting role. One is 'project management'. The job I am doing at Arghyam is a perfect example of that. They have a very clear deliverable (putting up the water portal), very clear deadline and timeframe (the PM is scheduled to be launching it in January). They have done a lot of work already but they needed a central person to pull it together and keep the project on track and keep people on the same page. This kind of thing seems to fire me up and get me going. I also helped Timbaktu to put together their Annual Report (read it!) and enjoyed that. I would love to be able to do this for more organizations. There is an organization called the Project Management Institute and I can join them and get some qualifications to make myself sound more impressive.
One thing that I found on the sabbatical is that 'ordinary people' (ie. non IT, non big city people) are tremendously appreciative if someone of that background tries to contribute something to them. It feels very good. I would love to work some of the time in those kind of environments instead of always following the money to the big cities and IT companies.
Another is the kind of thing I did at Bijapur. I would love to travel to different colleges and interact with the students and raise their awareness and capabilities. On the Vizag trip I interacted very briefly with a Physics teacher at Timpany school. She was really happy that I took the time to talk to her, and I have been interested in curriculum development and teacher development kind of things. So if I can do some stuff like that too, it would be great.

Like Arghyam and Timbaktu I can continue to work with social work organizations. This is criticall important to the vision. I can multiplex working for corporates and working for non-profits in a ratio that works for me and keep me really happy and fulfilled. Of course working for non-profits would be much less renumerative, and I might do things for free too.

Doing consulting means that after x months I can take a break, theoritically for as long as I want. This is *great* and something that I critically seem to need.

I would love to continue writing when I get the time, either through blogging or some other avenue. If I can get paid for it too, it would be really fulfilling and fit in perfectly with the overall picture. In the ideal dream picture I would have multiple income streams coming from doing multiple things that I like and at any given time I could be concentrating on any one of them.
I also want to spend a decent amount of time on personal development kind of things. I did a Landmark refresher course recently by the way but it didn't do much for me unfortunately. I want to take a Vipassana course and do more such things.
To complete the picture: I have to see how this fits with family life (in principal looks okay). Also would like to give more attention to keeping physically healthy.

Drawbacks:
There would have to be a degree of marketing involved which I am not so hot at. However I think I can manage as I have a decent network and as the job market is hot and I would need just a few projects a year to keep me occupied. Also in many roles, companies would love to have a consultant come in if they don't think there is a long term role, and since I want to do things short-term too, it would be an excellent match. I think I won't make a lot of money given my laid back style, but something I have learnt during the sabbatical is how much I am willing to sacrifice on the money side to keep the current lifestyle going :-)

I think while doing odd projects for social work groups is very nice, it might get frustrating after a while. One cannot see real impact of ones work in this way. So I might have to get more serious about social work at some next stage (or give it up altogether, rather than do it in a half-half way).

I am very kicked by how much the tech industry is achieving in India. Every day there are new reports of new chips or softwares coming out of India. I do wish I could be a part of a core team that can deliver on a complex, useful product. The above vision can't make this happen.

This vision does not fulfil occasional strong longings to do entrepreneurial stuff like biodiesel. That is something I should live with. I'm basically not very entrepreneurial and going that way would in any case come with a good possibility of failure. I also don't have any money to invest myself so that makes things harder.

I also desperately want to travel, and that may not work that great in this scheme of things. I think it will give me the chance to travel to places (esp. smaller places in India), but not much scope to travel abroad. However if I make some money, I can travel on my own, since my time is in my control. (I have a vague plan to do a long trip to the US and park in all the friends' places in turn :-) ).

So ???!!!!
Whatcha think. Give me your feedback.

8 comments:

A Soul In Exile said...

Vijay

All the best...
Looks like you are working out an outline of a plan afterall..
Keep working on it...

Will be interesting to have a lunch outing again with you soon..

-SB

Anonymous said...

despo,
this is progress and clarity. great!
i guess its inevitable that you have to focus to have an impact. so shedding some things is probably a good sign.
i am positive that if you hang around you will find a few things that would be interesting in the long-term.
only thing to add is - you should try to figure out a cost-plus way of working so that the whole thing is sustainable.
best of luck and i envy you!

Anonymous said...

a vision for myself...sounds a bit grand aye?

VK said...

Thanks to both of you'll for the feedback.

Hope to get more

Anonymous said...

Your vision statment looks very, very well thought-out and complete and almost too perfect in theory.
From some of my past experiences, you may be setting yourself up for failure having such a grandiose plan. It seems to me that sometimes you have to take what life gives you and make the best of it. Having such a carefully thought out plan may give you a sense of security and direction if that is what you are looking for. But, leave room for spontaneity and also consider leaving options open and taking what is given to you and making the best of it. I hope this is making sense and does not come across as discouraging.

Anonymous said...

i think the first comment is accurate. its an outline of a plan. with a thorough analysis of pros and cons. the more options you see and the more aware you are of costs and benefits the more likely things will break out clearly one way or another. i don't think you are holing yourself up in any specific way. but....please do not underestimate the magnitude of the financial challenge (and more importantly its dimensionality ^_^)

VK said...

Sajini -- point taken and I am not unaware of what you warn. Since I was writing a vision statement I tried to make it watertight, but I know that in implementation it could be a lot problems. I accept the sobering note ('accept what life gives you') in the spirit its meant, but I'm optimistic that it won't have to come quite to that. I have been very happy with life on the sabbatical and I think I am on the right track.

To the other comments -- thanks for the encouragement and feedback.
I am highly sensitive the financial challenge, though I don't understand the 'dimensionality' of it !
PS:
I wish you anonymous types would sign your names and leave the anonymous tag to the rightful owner :-).

Anonymous said...

dimensionality - material/lifestyle sacrifices you may comfortably make are not solely your sacrifices. being a son, an uncle, a brother and a husband (especially a husband) you will find that you will have to make the same sacrifices once for yourself and then in different ways on behalf each of these people. i believe it will be harder doing the latter.