Monday, February 26, 2007

Back to our regularly scheduled programming

I think my attempt to get Priya to read the blog was a big success. Not only did it get her to read the blog a few times over the past weekend, last night she was in serious gales of laughter over the whole thing especially Palls' toilet comments. I caught some nice photos of her laughing but she insisted that I don't put them on the blog. (As a substitute here is my photo with my beloved composting pots). And there was a nice flurry of activity and readership around the blog. All to de good. However, I know that the effort will peter out if I try to keep it going long-term so with this I prematurely suspend my successful demonstration that my blog can be as interesting and fun a blog for her as any other. Mission accomplished !




Yesterday I came across one of those things that count as a true Web curiosity. It was a Google ad for blog.mahindrausa.com. Its the blog of a farmer in Kentucky who uses Mahindra tractors. I checked out the site briefly as also www.mahindrausa.com.
Several things struck me:
-Just the concept of seeing Indian tractors being sold in the US is so strange. I remember driving through Texas one night and seeing a billboard for Mahindra or some other tractor company and it was so strange.
-The name mahindrausa.com. Normally most sites are based in the US or elsewhere and you have India as an addendum to get the Indian site as in 'www.ibm.com/in'. Nice to see the reverse in this case.
-The farm blog itself is pretty neat. And a smart idea by Mahindra to use that as a marketing tool
-The homepage of the site says: "J.Deere AG President concedes: Mahindra could surpass Deere in global unit sales"
One of those silent success stories of Indian business.

Here's an article from Business Week that talks about the broader global phenomenon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay this post is racist ^_^

VK said...

No idea what you're talking about !

Anonymous said...

Despo:

I described mahindrausa to a Finnish colleage of mine who used to work at Nokia. He in turn pointed me to sasken.com and said very cool things about it. He was head of research, or something very very senior at Nokia, and he said he was very impressed with their work.

Do you know of this firm? I didnt till yesterday and on their web site, they say they have a 4 week hibernation leave for folks who have been there for more than 4 years. (In addition to regular holidays.) Now thats a sign of a really cool company that encourages innovation.

Arvind

VK said...

Yeah, I've heard of them several times before, and interviewed atleast one engineer from there. That particular engineer was not so hot, but I've heard good things about the company in general. Not spectacular, but I could be wrong.

Lots of companies in the US have sabbatical policies like Intel. Also it has a very practical use as a retention policy in a cut-throat recruiting market. Nevertheless, yes a positive sign about a company.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture!! The clean-shaven look is better, good that you shelved the beard!!