Friday, February 23, 2007

A few interesting things:

Yesterday I was in Harihar a smallish town north of Bangalore, on the NH4 past Chitradurga and Davangere (I like all these names!) . I was demonstrating the Fluoride course from the website (go to indiawaterportal.org, go to Tools and Techniques and look on the right sidebar) at a training session for headmasters and some other folks. The demo went okay, we found a bunch of issues with the course but there seems to be a felt need for it so that motivates me to fix it and go back into the field with it. I saw absolutely zilch of the town besides the railway station, the hotel room and the place where I did the demo. I always wanted to do a lot of travelling and while I enjoyed going to this place to do the trip, I guess now I know why frequent travellers (on work) are not so hot on travelling.

Then a few of us from work (the usual suspects) went one day to the Google office in India to twist their arm to help us with doing internet marketing of the portal. They were nice and were very willing to help (atleast that's what they said). The office has a cool thing going at the reception which I've read about before. Its a projection on the wall that scrolls search text picked randomly from among the presumably billions of searches that are done on google everyday. A very nice effect.

We also started talking to a community radio group for the possibility of working together. They are called Voices, and they run a community radio station called Namma Dhwani, links here and here. Check out their signature jingle here, its pretty cool. Its an interesting experiment and there's recent legislation that should help community radion to take off in India, but I've also heard some scepticism about the potential.

Okay I have a challenge in front of me: Priya has never shown much interest in my blog. And today she was gushing about the blog that someone mentioned in a previous comment -- (the one that has a photo of Japanese Rajni fans). So now I have taken on the task on writing stuff on this blog that will attract her to the blog. I need help ! What are the kind of sites that would attract her. Readers of my blog -- help !!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why she may not be too attracted. This blog is unwittingly self obsessed - the way you view the world, what you think is good for the world and so on.

Find out ( a ) what interests Priya and discuss some of that
( b ) cut out a little of the deep thought aspect of yourself that you are so fascinated with and let go. See what you then write. The Rajni blog had a care free aspect to it and perhaps thats why she liked it.
Your blog is constrained by the need to format and organize. It, at times, is burdened by thoughts and opinions and lacks free spirit. Perhaps she wants you to be a little free spirited, in the moment, and unburdened from the chronic need to analyze. Heck thats what I'd like from you as well. So explore that dimension to your blog.

Arvind

Anonymous said...

i agree with pals. the blog tends to be a bit grim. mix in some happy thoughts about happy things. writing something happy is very good practice anyway. i tried on a daily basis first and then scaled back to weekly.

Anonymous said...

I agree too. Arvind makes some good points that you need to consider.
"free-spirited" and "unburdened from a chonic need to analyse" - I suffer from that too less so now than I used to.

Anonymous said...

be warned this may not be high-brow enough
www.lolluexpress.com

VK said...

Man, I was just looking for people to say, there is a cool jewellery site that she would like, or things like that. Instead I get beaten up on eagarly by all the regular readers. I should thank all of you'll for being so discreet and tolerant until until asked for input, with the aspects of the blog that you'll were not so hot on !

Its going to be difficult, nay impossible to change some basic things about the blog ('self-obsession', 'chronic need to analyse'). However one can meditate seriously upon the feedback and see if something comes out more spontaneously. In the meantime -- find that jewellery site !!!

VK said...

lolluexpress.com is a very nice start. Thanks. More ?

VK said...

PS: Part of the quiescence in the blog a week and more earlier was due to a lack of enthu and targets to analyse. Now you tell me that you'll are not interested in that in the first place !

VK said...

Can anonymous post his weekly happymaking thoughts on the blog ?

VK said...

This blog needs more guest posts to take the focus away from my navelgazing. You guys shold contribute.

VK said...

PPPPPS: Is it not fitting given the burdensome nature of the blog that I finally unwittingly settled on black for the background color for the page ?!!!!!

Anonymous said...

some trivial pursuit websites.
bad ass of the week
www.amazingben.com (language warning)
puzzle page by google employee
http://weihwa.feedback.googlepages.com/home
health page
http://www.bluezones.com/

Anonymous said...

pals, despo,
i've been meaning to tell you about bluezones.com
the zones themselves are very interesting. high life-expectancy zones in sardinia and japan. also they have a pretty cool life expectancy calculator. and they provide tips to increase your life span by 10 years.

VK said...

This stuff is all wide of the mark. Its not what Priya is remotely into.