Friday, May 01, 2009

Bought a frig

We bought a new frig recently. Every frig in the shop was marked with an electricity consumption 'Star' sticker that told you how much power it consumed and what the volume of the frig was (click on the pic to see a nice closeup). It made picking the make/model remarkably simple (normally a very fraught process with me and my wife). I picked out the energy efficient models in the relevant size range which straightaway reduced our choices to 2, and my wife then picked one of those (though she cribbed about the color).  
Really, this is quite remarkable. Any standardization between makes and models is useful to make a choice and a standardization that is relevant to environment friendliness is so rare to find. I have no idea who does this star rating but god bless them (and I hope they do a good job of it).
Most of the manufacturers had atleast one 5 star rated model.
 
BTW -- I read somewhere that the frig is one of the most or the most powerhungry devices in the house, so picking an energy efficient one really does make a difference.
 
 
 

No comments: