Sunday, May 31, 2009

A progression of baby names

I started off Noam (after Noam Chomsky) and a feminine version of it Naomi. I don't think that stands a strong chance :-). After that I found that of the standard Indian names I tended to like the short simple ones - Radha , Meera , Chitra (We don't know the sex of the baby yet, btw) . My wife complains that she wants a modern name not old-fashioned ones like this. Its monsoon time now, so I considered Varsha or Megha (especially if the rain gods didn't bother us on the way to the hospital for delivery). The wife has been playing it low-key probably because she is waiting to get the first syllable from the religious practice, which I am opposed to.  
Two strong candidates are Vibha and Vibhat. Why? Because they are a combination of mine and Priya's names!
 
Suggest your favorite baby name and the best one gets a prize.
 
====
 
It is getting pretty close to delivery time. A few niggling health problems are a source of concern but not unduly so. I am having a hard time disengaging my mind from work and focussing on preparing for the arrival. The baby finally turned head down, perhaps as a result of visualization exercises mentioned earlier !

10 comments:

Arvind said...

Hey, I have written an entire article that I sent you and a few others about names for indian parents. Why dont you choose from that.

Are Aardvarkhanahban and Aardvarkhavalli too fancy for you or what?

If you want simple, I would suggest Chandra after the physicist and if a girl, I would suggest Meera after Meerabai.

Anonymous said...

Vaishnavi for the girl
and Vaishnav for the boy

Rajini:)

Anonymous said...

I too am going to vote for simple, old-fashioned, stands-the-test-of-time-names - seetha, pooja, varsha, julie

Not able to come up with good boy names, arjun, rajiv??

Sajini

Anonymous said...

vibhav/vipriya --- again combination of papa n mama's names!
anvita/anmol :)

sneha

Anonymous said...

Hey,thanQ for the interest and the inputs you'll have suggested.All the names seem to be interesting:) Awaiting suggestions from more people.

Arvind seriously we are going to consider Aardvar...bhan & Aardvar...valli:-)

- Priya & Vijay

VK said...

Sneha -- Vibhav reminds us of Vaibhav, which is also close enough !

A Soul In Exile said...

Hey I dont understand how Vibha is a combo of both yr names.


BTW... if u want modern names... and also retain parental names... how abt

Vijay++ or Priya++
Vijay2.0
Vijay NexGen
VijayPro...
Vijay 2009
or just good old Vijay The 2nd
Vijay Jr
AlphaVijay
Vijay@Vijay

Just kiddin... I can understand the dilemma :( Going thru same hunt...

Siddharth Dasari said...

@Arvind- I just got a forward from mama, the article about the names-
Awesome stuff!!
Thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed it!
Best were, Bazookalakshmi, Ironmani, Endoplasmanathan and RingaringaRose!!

@!!!- Vijay The 2nd sounds great:)
Maybe it can be written as "Vijay II"
!!

Anonymous said...

"Sneha" is a nice name!!!!!!!!!!!!
how about nihal/niharika :)

?????

Anonymous said...

@Sneha - Hey you've got a compliment here dear!

@!!!-Vibha comes from first syllable of Vijay Krishna & Banupriya

-Banu(Priya)