Thursday, May 14, 2009

Kid update and on visualization

 
The due date for the baby is 20th June. The baby is not yet in a head-down position. The following surprising exercise was suggested by the pregnancy guidebook that we bought: do a daily 10 minute visualization where you visualize the baby moving into the correct head-down position. The guidebook was written by a panel of physicians (UK or US based I'm not sure) and most of the info is completely factual and scientific. So I was quite surprised to see this. I have a feeling there would have been a bit of heated debate around it. The exercise was accompanied by a statement that a particular Dr had seen 89% success in the baby moving around to the correct position on using this exercise. I guess that is their way of saying 'caveat emptor' . 
 
More generally in several self-help and other such systems, visualizing good things is a recommended technique. I try it now and then (when it occurs to me!). I do think its a useful thing, though (like meditation) most of the time my mind drifts away too soon. The interesting thing for me about it is as follows: most of the time I'm quite pessimistic about things and prepared for the worst and so on. So its a striking change instead to imagine the best or imagine fantastic things happening. This is not related to whether they will happen or not -- it is just that it is such a different feeling imaging outrageously good outcomes, rather than being guarded. It seems quite plausible that that kind of change in thinking and feeling will trigger changes in behavior and outlook that create the positive outcomes. But it seems to be a good exercise just for the change in mental state, irrespective of the outcome.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, kind of hard to believe that visualization can make the baby change position!
I have tried the visualization technique myself when i have to do a surgical procedure that is out of my comfort zone and i think it makes me more confident.

Too bad you'll don't know yet if girl or boy. People here would be obsessing about the all important question of whether to decorate the nursery pink or blue!

Sajini

VK said...

Ha ha !
Our thoughts are very far from decorating the nursery. If enough accumulated junk in the house can be thrown out to make space for a nursery, that would be good enough for me :-)