Monday, March 06, 2006

Shvoong.com

Currently I am getting mildly obsessive about the possibility of making some money doing things that I like to do, during this 'sabbatical' of mine. I found out about this website called Shvoong today. These guys are positioning themselves as a site for "Abstracts". Ie, they want to have short summaries of every book/essay that was ever written, or basically of all human knowledge. The model is that the summaries can be written by anyone, and they get paid royalties depending on how many people read the summary and how they like it. The website makes its money (and pays the royalties) from (you guessed it!) advertising. The same old game again.
I think the business model of this site is pretty shaky given the amount of free yet quite reliable material on the net (eg. wikipedia, which I've found pretty good on occasion and book reviews at amazon). Nevertheless I'm tempted to give this site a spin since I anyway read a lot and like writing reviews. Take a look at the site : www.shvoong.com

Comments ?

No comments: