Thursday, September 14, 2006

New Comp !




Finally its here !!!

My new Compaq V3035TU.

Notes:

-- Immediately after I bought it I saw an advertisement for IBMs new R60 which was the other computer that I was seriously considering, but finally decided against, because it was not yet on the market and it was slightly pricey. But the price in the ad was low enough that it was about the same that I'm spent on the Compaq. So some heartburn but I think there are enough pluses either way. The Compaq keyboard is 'feathertouchy' as the IBM, but it doesn't have the special IBM mouse and I'm finding that a pain. Otherwise the Compaq machine looks pretty sleek. Screen is smaller than IBM but I don't think that is going to be something very important for me. Both of them have the Duo Core processor that is the latest thing, but I'm not noticing my Compaq machine being particularly fast as a result of that (though the effect is mostly seen in high power neeeding applications and multithreading rather than the general OS functioning)
-- I bought it at a reseller called Computer Warehouse (computerwarehousepricelist.com) for 55000/-. They were overall pretty good with the service. I am going to purchase an add-on 3 year warranty for about 8000/- and probably Office Pro for 13,000/-. Yeesh. Right now I'll try downloading Open Office and playing with it for a little while.
-- I'm supposed to make backup discs immediately and I'm much more interested in blogging and messing up my computer importing images and stuff :-)
-- The laptop came with a nice bag and two power cords, one that works off a 'universal' plug point (I believe that's the plug point that they use in Europe), and another one that doesn't fit in my house powerpoints. So I had to get an adaptor today but its working fine after plugging that in. It weights 2.68 Kgs if I remember right, it feels quite light.
-- Huge backlog of blogging and replying to mail etc, that I didn't do because of non-optimality of browsing centers. I'm getting stressed out thinking of all the stuff I want to blog about :-)



PS: Bunch of updates at the other blog




Shiny black cover



Funky blue LEDs


Funny Compaq screen background

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

link for the other blog (written word) is not working. It says the server does not recognise htp//.

I had it book marked though so I could read it all. Very interesting. "Crash" is on my list of movies to watch after reading it in your blog.

VK said...

Corrected .. thanks