Saturday, September 23, 2006

Yahoo Messenger with Voice

I've never had luck with multimedia on my computers. Either the sound card has a problem or the driver has a problem, or the mike doesn't work okay or the external earphones I buy aren't compatible .. and so on. So I stopped trying to use computers to do any VoIP or other media stuff in any serious way (lots of people have recommended Skype). However with my new computer I'm having a completely different experience. I downloaded Yahoo Msgr and was chatting with a friend, when he asked me if I had voice. Before I could explain my voice jinx to him he had started a Msgr call to me, and it beeped on my computer. I clicked the icon and bingo! we had a voice conversation going. No external mic, no headphones, no testing the system, no nothing. That seamless. The person was in Hyd, and the clarity was quite decent. I dunno how it would be on an overseas connection.

We shall hope for more such going forward.

No comments: