Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Update on laptop

God, I hate Windows sometimes!

I already started getting occasional Windows/IE problems. Great ! Its amazing how flaky Windows can get.

One of the first things that you are supposed to do on getting a new comp. is create backup disks. Given that, perhaps the computer sellers could be thoughtful enough to sell you the required blank disks along with the comp! No such luck. I went through several hoops to acquire these which was irritating enough and when I did the back up, the software (****ing Compaq PC Recovery Disk Creator) told me that it couldn't complete the process because of an error (and quoted an error number. Dumb***** !). I'm so pissed off. Its the kind of problem that (I guess) is almost impossible to get decent support for and I'm dreading the thought of getting into an unending conversation with some uninterested drone over this.

Other issues: after I hibernate the system and start it up again, it takes me to the screen with a choice of available userlogins. This is *so* irritating, it didn't happen with my previous computer (probably because it was XP Pro).

And there is another infuriating problem where if I mouseover a link it sometimes clicks that link! This causes huge irritation, for example sending a mail before its completely written. I've had this problem when working briefly with other peoples' Compaq laptops too, so I'm sure either I'm doing something wrong, or its a kind of known thing and can be worked around. Somebody help me on this one please !!!
The mousepad is not good either and moving the mouse around is quite a pain. I'm not comfortable with these pads and on my IBM machine I used the rollerball thingy and not the pad, so I don't know if this pad is particularly worse than IBM's.

God ! I get high blood pressure from the absolute frustrating way the whole computer thing is organized. There are so many ways to run into problems and so few ways to get solutions. It reminds me of the movie Crash which I reviewed over there


PS: Other than the above its actually been quite decent :-)

No comments: