Saturday, September 23, 2006

Nokia cameraphone review



At Kustavan's request, here are some notes on my new cameraphone.

I didn't do a lot of research or comparison shopping on this one. The only thing I was really looking for was a decent camera on the phone. I wanted to get a fashionable Motorola phone but my wife overruled me in favor of Nokia. We went to the Nokia Concept shop on Church Street (dunno if that was a good idea, maybe they have higher prices. There was another Nokia dealer just across the street, but I didn't compare prices). They had a lot of phones there so there was a decent range of phones to pick from. I straightaway liked this phone 6125 and another slightly higher-end model. Both were fliptop (or do they call them clamshell) phones. The differences were minor -- the other phone had a knob you could press to open up the phone, this one you have to physically prise the two blades apart, and there were a couple of other enhancements on the other one that I felt I could live without. 6125 costed me 10800 (or was it 11800? don't remember) and the other was 13800/- types.

6125 is pretty good. The look is sleek -- silver and black. The camera is good, I forget the image quality number but you've seen the images on this blog. The camera has a reasonable zoom range. There are the usual neat things like associating an image with a contact so the image shows up when the contact calls. Other features:
-- You can easily stick in an external memory card to increase the memory.
-- Its got radio but that requires an external extra antenna, so that's pretty much uninteresting for me.
-- Basic voice recognition so you can say the name of a contact and it will try to identify the contact. Doesn't work that well.
-- Thoughtful feature: press a key and switch between 'general' and 'silent' profiles.
-- Lots of messaging enhancements that I haven't gone into yet as I don't use it much
-- I wrote about the bluetooth already, but that's pretty much standard nowadays
. It also has USB and infrared connectivity to computers which I haven't checked.
-- GPRS, which I don't know anything about
-- You can record short video or audio clips. You can download video and audio on to the phone and play. It has an equalizer for the audio!
-- Calendar, to-do list, stopwatch
-- WAP web browser
-- What it don't got is a torchlight like 1100 -- which to me is a high-watermark of cellphones

Enough already ! Technology gone mad !

PS: Thanks, Priya for gifting me this one :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning to get jealous of your lifestyle. No going to work and on top of it, buying nice camera phones.

VK said...

Thank you. And you know what you need to do to suppot my lifestyle :-)